Thursday, January 22, 2015

Part III: YouTube Video (embed)

The first video I watched involves the office of Emergency Management and what it takes to be an “Emergency Management Specialist”. It shows how the office mitigates, prepares and responds to public emergency.  It shows the EOC or Emergency Operations Center of Fairfax, Va. It goes through and discusses how the EOC involves many people with different specialties. While you might be in charge of one division. You need the ability to switch and move into a different specialty. The video goes on to discuss how EOC and Emergency Management plans and trains daily. The training part I did not know much about by watching the video I was able to discover the training involves everyone and a rigorous training schedule.  The also mention how they rely on the public also. They train for the public but need the public to be involved as much as possible.  A liaison or “Community Liaison” is key to emergency Management. This person recruits and helps get the message of the EOC out to the public.  I think this video is good for anyone interested in become an Emergency Manager.
Profile on the Office of Emergency Management

            The second video I wanted involves stating what an Emergency Manager actually does. They show how valuable an Emergency Manager is. While small emergencies able to be managed by our local public safety. The bigger emergencies need Emergency Managers. The video takes a look on how Emergency mangers prove their value to elected officials and other public officials. Emergency Managers need to be able to communicate and work in the public. This is a good video because people need to be good in communication and public speaking. A communication degree would be highly valuable in the career. You need to be able to get a clear message to everyone in an emergency. A communication degree would also get you the tools needed to work collectively with a large number of people. I think this is a good video as it discusses the key traits necessary to become an Emergency Manager.
The Essential Emergency Manager



No comments:

Post a Comment